On 12/27/18 2:32 AM, Adam Nielsen wrote:
>> I once tried MariaDB and found that it cannot be installed on the same
>> machine with MySQL unless you do a lot of tweaking at a very low level.
>> Currently I have both Postgres and MySQL installed on the same machines,
>> so supporting an additional DB is painful.
>
> MariaDB is a fork of MySQL, maintained by the original MySQL
> developers.  Oracle continues to maintain MySQL, but MariaDB is the
> "spiritual" successor of MySQL.

Well, in one sense.  I think of it more as a fork than as a successor.
The real evolution is still happening in MySQL, and (so far at least) it
is MySQL, not MariaDB, that major third parties such as Percona maintain
compatibility with.  This is becoming problematic as MariaDB and MySQL
drift further and further apart.  Monty Widenius did the world no favors
when he decided he wanted to walk back entrusting MySQL to Sun.

> MariaDB has already replaced MySQL in most Linux distributions, at
> least those aimed at the desktop.  There have been very few
> compatibility problems.

So far.  MySQL 8 is a major sea change.  For the first time it has a
real data dictionary ... and MariaDB doesn't.  This is the end of binary
data compatibility between MySQL and MariaDB.

> As long as Bacula sticks
> to the common feature set and doesn't use any of the new
> Oracle-MySQL-specific features then it will probably continue to work
> just fine with both MySQL and MariaDB for some time yet, with no special
> maintenance effort.

And truth be told, pretty much all of the Oracle-specific features are
either Oracle Enterprise add-on tools, or functionality relevant only
between multiple MySQL servers.  Except for MySQL 5.7's clamp-down on
SQL99 compliance, which is really just cleaning up a lot of sloppy
things MySQL has historically done technically-wrong, like allowing
nonexistent/impossible dates as a default DATETIME value, or NOT NULL
without a DEFAULT.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications