On 29/12/18 4:41 pm, Adam Nielsen wrote:
> I'd suggest rewinding the tape and writing some EOF marks to
> make the tape look empty, then relabelling it through Bacula.  If the
> tape is in good condition, this should allow it to be reused, but of
> course doesn't explain what happened in the first place for it to get
> into this state.

Thanks for your suggestions Adam.

I did more testing using btape. Even with a brand new tape the "label"
command worked but "readlabel" immediately afterwards failed with a BB02
error.

I also noticed tapes labelled with Bacula 7.4.5 would "readlabel" fine,
but those labelled using 9.2.2 would fail "readlabel".

After using btape to write EOF markers to a new tape it caused
subsequent btape commands to reject the tape as read-only.

Next I tried a package update (Arch Linux pacman -Syu) and reboot. This
resolved all issues! This server is kept up-to-date, so the only change
of significance was a new kernel version (4.19.12).

To be able to utilise the problematic tapes labelled by Bacula 9.2.2 I
used btape "rewind", made a 100 MB file (using yes) and cat > /dev/nst0.
This allowed btape "test" to succeed. Next I used bconsole to "purge"
then "relabel" to a temporary name then another "purge" and final
"relabel" to reflect the barcode name. The result is Bacula 9.4.1
rewrote the tape labels and properly report the volbytes in "list
volumes" (I initially used "delete", "label" and "add", but the volbytes
report as zero).

Anyhow thanks again for your suggestions. It's great to have Bacula
working again.