I don't think you can tell bacula-fd to not wait.

If you are interested in debugging it, you could use lsof to see what
bacula-fd has open while it is waiting and then see which other processes are
connected to it (probably via pipes, where lsof prints some hex number
identifying the pipe).  Adding sleep after running caffeinate in
bacula-caffeinate.sh would allow you to check what is open before it becomes a
zombie.

__Martin