On 12/13/2019 1:35 PM, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
On 2019-12-13 15:18, Josh Fisher wrote:

I do something similar, only monthly copies, rather than weekly. I do not use differential backups at all, but rather quarterly fulls, monthly virtual fulls in between quarterlies, and daily incrementals. A monthly Copy job makes copies of the virtual fulls for storage in an on-site fire safe, and another quarterly Copy job makes quarterly copies for off-site storage.

The amount of storage needed depends on the granularity needed. I recycle the monthly virtual fulls after 1 year. The quarterly fulls and copies are kept for 3 years, with the year-end quarterly and its copy kept for 10 years. This gives a tiered granularity, daily for the past 30 days, monthly for the past year, quarterly for 2 - 3 years, and yearly for 3 - 10 years.

If you are going to have weekly restore points, then you should definitely look into using base jobs. Weekly restore points will necessarily use a lot of media, but base jobs would dramatically reduce the backup size.

I'm not sure I understand what you are suggesting.

Well, it depends on the clients you are backing up. Base jobs are a method of deduplication, where a single base job backs up a subset of files (defined by the base job's file set) where the same file exists on multiple clients. For example, 10 Linux web servers being backed up likely contain many identical files, OS files, apps, etc. By applying the base job to a set of clients, those clients only need backup the files that do not match the base job, rather than all 10 backing up the same files 10 times. See https://www.bacula.org/9.4.x-manuals/en/main/File_Deduplication_using_Ba.html

I thought about doing a VirtualFull before copying, but that's going to take a lot of space on the NAS (space I do not have, unless I drastically reduce retention period).

I fail to understand the part about base job: in the manual it's suggested that it's useful when you have several almost identical datasets (like "100 nearly identical Windows or Linux machine"), but that's not my case (for the curious, I have one FreeBSD, one CentOS and one Windows). So I guess it won't apply to my case: it would just be a 4th level after Inc/Diff/Full.
Or are you suggesting using them in some other way?

> If you are not concerned with archival and only need restoration to
> current state, then weekly virtual fulls along with weekly copies might
> be best, recycling them as often as needed based on available media.

This last sentence get me curious.
Are you saying:
_ make a virtualfull on the NAS;
_ copy the virtualfull to disk;
_ purge the virtualfull (so that restores from the NAS will behave as if nothing has happened)?

Is this possible? Automatizable?

 bye & Thanks
    av.