Hi

> I'm planning a Bacula deployment on AWS in the following weeks. I have some
> doubts about disk performance for Disk based backups.
I use tapes, so you should take my response with a grain of salt. Question
though, how do one protect the backup from being damaged if one is compromised
and there is no air gap?  If you look at the Riviera Beach for example, they
did have backup, but ransomware encrypted them too.

> - Does it matter a lot choosing XFS instead of ext4 as filesystem?
Really don't make a big difference what filesystem you choose if your files are
large.  But if you have too many tinny files, use XFS as it allocate metadata
space dynamically
> - How can I know the amount of IOPS needed for my local disk?
You need to test, every setup have different IOPS requirements.  But anyway, if
you want a generic answer, it depends with how many concurrent jobs you are
willing to run.  And what do you mean by local?  On the bacula storage?   On
the bacula client? How many bacula clients do you have?  Better define these
details to get a better answer from the rest of the team.
> - What does Bacula need most: high IOPS or throughput (MB/s)?
Again, depends.  In general, I would say full backups would need throughput and
differentials/incremental need more IOPS.  But for the storage, I guess IOPS
irrespective of the type of jobs if you are running too many concurrent jobs?
> - Based on the previous question, should I choose SSD over HDD disks?
Use HDD, SSD are too expensive for backups in my humble opinion
> - Is it worth using RAID1 or RAID10 for improving performance?
Wouldn't make a difference in my opinion, bacula level details would make more
difference

>By the way, I pretend to use an external DB (Amazon RDS) for myCatalog, so my
>Storage daemon wouldn't share the same underlying storage.
If you are using mysql and you have a lot of file, make sure to have a big temp
space.  During pruning, mysql, does generate a really odd queries that can fill
up most ramdisks. Use SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'tmpdir'; to figure what you are
currently using

> I hope someone can share some ideas about disk performance.
You really seem intent to optimize your disk performance.  Consider dm-cache
then.   Petty effective in my experience.

Regards,
William