I'm late answering this, but I suggest trying again with some TCP offloading features disabled on the interface used by SD.

/sbin/ethtool -K ethX tso off gso off gro off

There are indeed buggy drivers that fail to properly support the (virtual?) hardware offload features, including at least some version(s) of virtio-net, as I discovered and wrote about in my August 5 2020 post here. Keep in mind that Bacula, of necessity, taxes the network for long periods of time, often for hours. It reveals network issues that a few seconds or minutes of iperf cannot. (In fact, I think virtio developers should consider using bacula-fd in a VM in their destructive/performance testing.)