On Saturday 2021-05-22 21:14:20 Bill Arlofski via Bacula-users wrote:
> Hello Joe,
>
> I can think of three things that can cause this to happen, and at least
> two of them will show some evidence in the job log
>

> Option 1:
> ---------
> You have edited the Fileset, and the "IgnoreFilesetChanges = yes" option
> was not set at the top of the Fileset. In this case Bacula will log as
> one of the first lines in the job's log something like this: ----8<----
> 05-May 11:05 bacula-dir JobId 38357: No prior or suitable Full backup
> found in catalog. Doing FULL backup. ----8<----
>
> Additionally, in the Summary, where it shows the "Backup Level:" it will
> also tell you the job was upgraded from an Inc or Diff ----8<----
> Backup Level:           Full (upgraded from Differential)
> ----8<----
>
> One other thing in the summary to help diagnose if an edit of the
> Fileset was the cause is that the "Fileset:" line shows the last time
> the Fileset that was used in the job was edited:
> ----8<----
> FileSet:                "HomeFileSet" 2015-07-03 12:35:32
> ----8<----
>

> Option 2:
> ---------
> Something or someone has 'touched' all of the files in the tree. I have
> seen this a few times where someone implements a script - perhaps to do
> some virus scan or something - and the script or program modifies the
> attributes of every single file, causing Bacula to (correctly) noticed
> a change and backup each file.
>
> To mitigate this type of case, you can set specific attributes to check
> in the Fileset with the "Accurate = xxxx" setting - where xxxx is a
> list of characters to enable the attributes you want to check. Using
> this feature you can tell Bacula to ignore attributes that may get
> modified in cases like I described.
>

> Option 3:
> ---------
> You have set the "MaxFullInterval" in a Job or JobDefs resource.
> Personally, I like and use this feature. It is a simple way to help
> "spread out" my Full backups from all kicking off at the same time each
> month. And, since I don't really care what day or time my Fulls run as
> long as they run once a month - this is a prefect feature for me.
>
> I set it for about 33 days, and then set all of my Jobs to have "Level =
> Incremental", and my Schedules are just simple "run every day at x
> time" with no mention of running a Full on the First Sunday of a month
> and Incrementals every other day.
>
> Then, when 33 days have passed, instead of doing the specified
> Incremental or Differential level configured in the Job/JobDefs, Bacula
> will log this in the job log:
> ----8<----
> 12-May 23:00 bacula-dir JobId 38614: Max Full Interval exceeded. Doing
> FULL backup. ----8<----
>
> and then this in the Summary:
> ----8<----
> [...]

There is another option.

Option 4:
---------
If no valid full backup for the job could be found in the catalog, the
backup job will be upgraded from incremental or differential to full
backup. The message would be the same as the one described in option 1.

This could happen if the job is prematurely pruned (before a new full
backup has been performed).

Regards!

--
Josip Deanovic