Hello,

As originator of Bacula (and still the highest in the gitstats list of contributors), my personal vote is for Ubuntu.  That said,
I would be very happy to run Bacula on any version of Debian -- the Bacula packagers for Debian work closely with the Bacula project -- I would be a lot happier if they would learn to install it in /opt/bacula instead of spreading it all over the filesystem though.  Note: Ubuntu also spreads the installation all over the place, so I do my own packaging as recommended in the manual.  In light of the wide spread attacks of ransomware, it is even more important to ensure that restoration of Bacula is simple and easy.  There is a lot of info on ransomeware on bacula.org.

There is no need you should have to pay for a Bacula Windows client either today or any time in the future.  Bacula Systems will ensure that the community Bacula runs on the most popular operating systems (Windows client, MacOS, FreeBSD, Solaris, even Oracle, ...)

Best regards,
Kern