Am 07-Sep-2021 05:27:41 +0200 schrieb ph...@caerllewys.net:
> On 9/6/21 2:19 PM, neumei...@mail.de wrote:
> > With what I have learned from you so far I am going to implement the
> > following scheme(one job, one client):
> > Three pools: one incremental(dailyPool), one differential(monthlyPool) and
> > a full pool(halfannualPool).
> >
> > - incremental backup every night with a volume-retention of 40days
> > - differential backup every 1st february-june and august-december (at
> > night, same time) with a volume-retention of 7months
> > - full backup on january 1st and july 1st (at night, same time) with a
> > volume-retention of 12months
> >
> > file- and job-retention for that single client are set to the maximum
> > volume-retention.
> > -> File Retention = 12 months , Job Retention = 12 months
> >
> > Are there any mistakes? What can I do better?
>
> That looks fundamentally sound, though it may be a little more complex
> than usual to write a suitable Schedule.

Okay, thank you for your help.

> Also, I note that I misspoke in the course of describing my setup. I
> said "Differential backup (based upon the last Differential or higher,
> so it records all changes since the last Differential or Full)," but
> this is of course wrong. A Differential backup records all changes
> since the last *FULL* backup ONLY, thus resetting the change history.
> Because of this a full restore requires only the last Full backup, the
> last Differential backup, and any incremental backups since the last
> Differential.

Thanks for clearing it up!

> > There just popped up another question in my head:
> > - should I preferably use the Virtual Full option to make full backups or
> > the normal full backup-option? Are there any downsides?
>
> It depends why you are doing full backups so infrequently. If it is
> because you have an extremely large dataset that takes a long time to do
> a full backup, then a Virtual Full backup can be a very good option
> because instead of actually having to run a complete new full backup,
> you use your past Full backup (which may be virtual) and the history of
> backed-up changes since then (i.e, the last Differential and any
> incrementals since the last Differential) to synthesize a virtual backup
> containing the calculated current state of the backup set. It can offer
> a significant savings in job time and network transfer bandwidth, but
> should be verified against the client from time to time to make certain
> that it does closely represent the actual state of the backup fileset.
>
> It is discussed in more detail here:
>
> https://www.baculasystems.com/incremental-backup-software/
>
> Virtual Full backups are a good alternative if you would like to do Full
> backups more often but are limited by resource constraints.

Okay, I just paid the link a small visit and scanned through the text. It looks
quiet interesting and promising. I will come back to it this evening with more
time on my hands.
If after that I should have any questions left I will come back and write
something to the mailing list.

Thanks again for your detailed answer and your fast help!

Sebastian