On 1/3/22 21:05, Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
That can sometimes be fixed by setting the mount to be soft rather than
hard, or vice-versa, but the Linux implementation of NFS leaves a lot to
be desired, at both ends.  (Speaking as a person who was a tech lead at
SGI's "File Serving Systems" and wrote many, many tests for NFS and
really developed a distaste for the subtle gotchas in NFS.  If I ever
hear someone defending the, "Oh, it can't fall back from v4 to v3
because they're different protocols", again, I will strangle the
<profanity elided>.)

This is why for many years now my NAS has run Solaris. It is THE reference implementation of NFS.

However, Solaris is dead. Oracle hustled it out behind the barn and put a bullet in its head.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications