On 1/10/22 11:04, Philip Pemberton via Bacula-users wrote:
Hi all,

I'm using Bacula to back up a pair of servers (my firewall and NAS), backing up to an LTO6 drive. This requires a sustained data rate of around 150MB/sec with on-drive compression disabled, or more with compression.

I previously used a spinning SATA hard drive, which peaked at around 100MB/sec data rate. Sadly this wasn't fast enough to keep the tape drive fed with data, and resulted in a lot of shoe-shining (tape stopping, rewinding, then pausing while the buffer refilled) and lengthened the backup times.

To speed things up, I set up a cheap SATA SSD (a 240GB Crucial BX500, CT240BX500SSD1) as the Bacula cache drive, with an ext4 filesystem. Sadly within three months of setting this up, the drive hit its write endurance and started throwing SMART errors to that effect.

I started out with the ext4 FS set to 'journaled', but later used tune2fs to disable journaling. I've also set the "noatime" mount option on the filesystem.

I'm planning to replace the drive (when it eventually fails completely), so does anyone have any advice on a more long-lived solution to Bacula cache drives?

The drive is chained off the SAS controller -- an LSI 9207-4i4e with IT firmware. The same SAS controller connects to the tape drive, using the external SAS port.

That drive only has an 80 TBW endurance. For LTO 6 with compression, that's maybe 20 full tapes written. It won't last long as a cache drive.

For a low cost drive, I suggest something like the Micron S650DC, which is a medium endurance 400 GB SAS drive with a 7000 TBW endurance. It is a cheap (< $200 US) drive that should last for at least 1600 LTO6 tapes.

Thanks,