On 23.01.2022 11:37, Radosław Korzeniewski wrote:
Hello,

pt., 21 sty 2022 o 14:22 Peter Milesson via Bacula-users <bacula-users@lists.sourceforge.net> napisał(a):

    If somebody has got experience with disk based, multi volume Bacula
    backup, I would be grateful about some information (tips, what to
    expect, pitfalls, etc.).

The best IMVHO (but not the only mine) is to configure one job = one volume. You will get no real benefit to limit the size of a single volume. In the single volume = single job configuration you can set up job retention very easily as purging a volume will purge a single job only. It is not required to "wait" a particular volume to fill up to start retention. Purging a volume affects a single job only. And finally you end up with a way less number of volumes then when limiting its size to i.e. 10G.

There are many different approaches which can fit different requirements.
I don't see the benefit of having a single job per volume as Bacula
is tracking media, files, jobs and everything else.
That's why Bacula has a catalog which allows the backup system
to determine the location and state of volumes, jobs, files, etc.

To logically separate backup data I use pools and leave the rest
to Bacula.

When Bacula needs a particular file volume, if it's available Bacula
will simply use it and if it's not or if we are using tape volume
which is currently not in the tape drive/library, Bacula will ask
for the volume by name.

The number of smaller file volumes (e.g. 10GB) is not an issue as
Bacula is handling them correctly and automatically (provided that
Bacula is correctly configured, of course).

I'll go through few examples where smaller file volumes (e.g. 10GB)
could prove useful:

1. If the catalog database get corrupted or completely lost,
   due to the the small size, it's easier and faster to handle
   and determine volumes which contain database backup.
   That makes the process of importing the data into a new
   catalog database using a tool such as bscan easier.

2. Similar to 1), it is easier to manage small file volumes and
   extract particular jobs from a volume using bextract tool.

3. If the space is an issue (as it usually is), bigger volumes
   tend to eat more space which cannot be reused (volume
   cannot be recycled) as long as the volume contains a single
   job we want to preserve.

4. Although I don't like that approach, sometimes people chose
   to sync or copy whole file volumes to a secondary location
   using the usual tools such as rsync, cp and similar.
   In such case it is better to keep file volumes small.

5. When recycling a file volume, it will take longer time to
   wipe bigger file volume. If a volume is smaller it will
   take less time to recycle ensuring more time windows where
   other tasks could benefit from I/O performance. In case of
   large file volumes all other tasks would have to fight for
   the opportunity to access the file system and that gets more
   obvious when a slow network file system is being used.

6. In case of any kind of corruption of a file volume due to
   the file system corruption or damage in transport, it is
   likely that less data will be lost in case of a smaller
   file volume. And again, it's easier to handle smaller file
   volume when trying to recover pieces of data.

Regards!

--
Josip Deanovic