Oh, one other thing ... how old was your OLD mysql database? Red Hat had the incredibly stupid idea of shipping MySQL configured by default with 'old_passwords=1', and many other distributions just blindly shrugged and said, "Huh, seems legit to me." If your password hashes in the mysql.user table are less than 41 characters in length, you probably have old pre-MySQL-4.1 insecure passwords which have been deprecated since ... 2004 I think? All such passwords should be regenerated, and preferably changed, after making certain that old_passwords is OFF.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications