On 3/16/22 15:13, Justin Case wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have a number of pools for different clients/use cases, and each pool has
> its own name prefix for disk volume labeling.
> When I look into the folder where all he pool files are created I see the
> different pool name prefixes, and the volume numbers are uniquely incremented
> -across- all the pools on that disk device. Is that the normal behavior?
>
> Naively I was assuming the autolabeling would start with 0001 for each
> different pool name prefix, however, it does not seem to work like that.

Hello Justin,

What you are seeing is expected, and normal behavior.

Bacula has Counter{} resources and I think they can be used in your volume
label "variables", but I have never tried this
because I never had a reason to bother. I just let Bacula number volumes as it
sees fit regardless of which pool they are in. :)

OH Bonus!  I just verified this...  :)

The chapter called "The Counter Variable" in the Main manual states the
following in the first paragraph:
----8<----
The Counter Resource defines a counter variable that can be accessed by variable
expansion used for creating Volume labels with the LabelFormat directive. See
the
LabelFormat directive in this chapter for more details.

Hope this helps!
Bill

--
Bill Arlofski