Hello Egoitz,

Thanks for your very kind email with birthday wishes.  I am really honored that you call me a mentor, thanks.  I have always done my best to produce a high end backup product (though it is a bit complicated) that is robust and reliable with all the features needed by the community as well as small enterprises.  Though it is sometimes hard, I feel that we succeeded in creating a friendly and helpful email list.

Thanks for using Bacula and for your email.

Concerning your plugin:  in general we accept all contributions that are useful, follow our current design conditions (in the Developers document) and for which we have a signed CAA (copyright assignment agreement).  This agreement allows Bacula Systems to use the code, but even more important for me, it protect all Bacula users from someone introducing code then claiming we are using his proprietary code (this is what Bareos attempted to do to Bacula). I can remember only on case where we we not able to use the code, and that was code developed by UKFast (ISP) and released by the developer without permission.  We we never able to get permission to use the code from UKFast.  This code implemented quotas.  Instead of integrating unauthorized code, we wrote our own simpler and more efficient quota code.  Note, Bareos integrated the unauthorized code, so perhaps one day their users may be exposed to license problems.

If you finish your code, and you are willing to submit a CAA, then I recommend that you submit it to Bacula (Now that I am retired, Eric decides exactly what is integrated and what is not).   In my opinion, it would be a very nice addition.

I am very pleased that Bacula Systems has agreed to look after maintaining the community version and continue adding the Bacula Systems new features.  This means that Bacula will be getting better and better and continue to adapt to the ever changing IT backup/restore needs.

Thank you very much for recognizing my contributions, and above all thank you for using Bacula and developing code for it.  I wish you all the best in the future.

Kind regards,
Kern
(Currently in Puerto Rico until May then back to Barcelona).