On 07/17/2022 9:16 am, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
On 7/17/22 15:34, Josh Fisher wrote:

Bacula has had false-positive issues with similar buffer overrun protections before,

Hmm... -fstack-protector just put canaries around the stack and
verifies they are still there and intact.
If the stack canary is corrupt, then IMO an overrun has definitely happened.
(I know there are exceptions, but they should be "rare circumstances").

Bacula uses its own memory handling functions,

For the stack???
Maybe for the heap?

without issues, since the debug version will have those protections (and many optimizations) disabled.

I'm not sure.
Maybe Larry can check the build log, but I believe -fstack-protector
would be there even when compiling with debug symbols and without
optimizations.
Can you check, Larry?

full build log for the DEBUG version:
https://home.lerctr.org:8888/data/live-host-ports/2022-07-16_17h45m44s/logs/bacula13-server-13.0.0.log

full build log for the NON-DEBUG version:
https://home.lerctr.org:8888/data/live-host-ports/2022-07-15_12h19m17s/logs/bacula13-client-13.0.0.log

Phone: +1 214-642-9640                 E-Mail: l...@lerctr.org
US Mail: 5708 Sabbia Dr, Round Rock, TX 78665-2106