One problem I ignored so far is that the Bacula Docker container I use
(pwa666/bacula-server:11-postgresql-latest) cannot send emails to me.

bsmtp only seems to use the output of the “hostname” command as the hostname
during the negotiation phase. this hostname is some arbitrary ID, not a FQDN.

3422f1072002 --> HELO 3422f1072002

Setting the hostname fails in the container (but thats something to talk about
to the container maintainer).

my mailserver complains when the hostname used during negotiation is not a FQDN.

bsmtp: bsmtp.c:124-0 Fatal malformed reply from mailserver.dummy.net: 504 5.5.2
<3422f1072002>: Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified hostname

I did not find a bsmtp option to override the hostname for smtp client. such an
option might be useful.

But my mailserver also requires the sending mail user to authenticate and from
what I have seen in the documentation bsmtp cannot do that, correct?

So I would have to use some other smtp client like “mail”? (which is not in the
container, again a problem to clarify elsewhere)

Best,
 J/C