I don't think it can be done by USB. The SAS-to-USB chips operate in "mass storage" mode, suitable for SAS hard drives. The LTO drive will need an adapter that operates in SCSI emulation mode. I don't know of any adapters that aren't strictly for hard drives, but maybe there are.

Another approach is to use a Thunderbolt port instead. Thunderbolt is essentially an encapsulation of PCI-e. There are many Thunderbolt PCI-e Expansion chassis available that are simply one or more PCI-e slots connected via Thunderbolt (but with their own power supply). You can insert a PCI-e SAS controller in the expansion chassis and the server will treat it exactly like one of its own PCI-e slots, so the OS will see the tape drive in exactly the same way and so then would Bacula.