Hi Uwe,

  You might want to try just dumping the data as full inserts and then import it with pgsql.  IE:
mysqldump -nc bacula |grep INSERT >output.sql
psql bacula
\. output.sql

Another option wqould be to use the --default-character-set option to mysqldump to switch the output to just latin1, ie:
mysqldump -nc bacula --default-character-set=latin1 |grep INSERT >output.sql

On 2022-08-29 03:43, Uwe Schuerkamp wrote:
Hello Eric,

thanks much for your reply.

On Thu, Aug 25, 2022 at 03:36:09PM +0200, Eric Bollengier via Bacula-users
wrote:
Bacula might have to store characters coming from the different clients
(filename and

path mostly), and we have no guarantee that they will be in valid UTF8.

The setup I'm trying to convert is as simple as it gets: a single host
that backs up itself, no other clients are involved.

I've tried using the create_postgres db and table scripts provided by
the bacula install before running pgloader to import the data from
mariadb, but sadly this hasn't helped. The warning in bconsole
disappears, but bacula is still unable to find any volumes from the
old catalog as they're displayed as "\xss850938sdkl" or similar as
described in my previous email.

It might well be that pgloader mangles the db data in some way. Are
there other proven ways to import a mariadb database into postgres
that folks here might have any experience with?

Thanks,

Uwe