I’ve inherited this system so I’m piecing things together.  It looks like
bacula-sd had previously been running as root.  The current permissions on the
/var/backups directory and volumes are root:root.  Running systemctl start
bacula-sd seems to be running as bacula:tape.  Saw errors in console regarding
the current volume so to test it out I set permissions on that volume as
bacula:tape and presto!  Job runs successfully.  This is with bacula-sd release
5.2.13 for redhat (Core).  My question is what *should* the process be running
as?  If the answer is bacula:tape what kind of shenanigans am I about to kick
off by chown’ing /var backups to bacula:tape?

Thanks for nudges in the right direction.  I’m new with this software.

Jim
----
Jim Pollard, Senior Sysadmin GCUX, GSEC, LPIC, Linux +
The University of Texas at Austin | UT Center for Space Research | 512.232.6966