Why not migrate the LTO-2 volumes to disk, then install whatever version of tape drive you wish and migrate the disk volumes to the new LTO tapes?

On 4/22/24 11:29, Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
On 23/04/2024 00:58, Alan Polinsky wrote:
I have used Bacula for many years, since version 5. In the past, I have mentioned my two Nas's along with various Windows and Linux machines get backed up on a nightly basis to tape. Currently that tape drive is an LTO3 based drive. Some of the older backups are on LTO2 tapes. My tape drive is starting to show its age, and within a period of time it will have to be replaced. (Since I am a retired programmer on a fixed income, cost, as always becomes an issue.) I need to understand the backward capabilities of more recent drives. How high could I go with LTO based machines while still maintaining the ability to read (and hopefully write) those old LTO2 tapes?

Thank you everyone for your help.

All anyone could ever want to know about LTO tapes: <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_Tape-Open>.

The rule of thumb is read two back, and write one, but that changed with LTO-8.  Sort of.  Sigh.  Read the wikipedia page.

    Cheers,
        Gary    B-)