On 4/4/04 8:06 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Didn't our beloved Guardian approve the publication of the Dawn
Breakers?
> I thought I read a long time ago somewhere that the Dawnbeakers was
more
> or less a work of Shoghi Effendi using Nabil's notes. True, not true?

Shoghi Effendi translated and edited the part of Naril's Narrative
which covered the Babi Dispensation. In addition to what Shoghi
Effendi translated, other parts cover the ministry of Baha'u'llah, and
there was a collection of miracles.  Baha'u'llah told Nabil to destroy
the record of miracles.

Nabil's Narrative has several things going for it.

Baha'u'llah commissioned it.  However He did not approve every
sentence in it or otherwise ghost write it.

It was the earliest attempt to write a comprehensive history of the
Faith.  Because of his position, Nabil had access to many different
people who participated in the early history of the Faith.  However
there were memoirs being written even before Nabil started his work
which Nabil was not aware of.  Some of these only arrived at the World
Center with the persecutions associated with the Khomenei regime. In
some cases Nabil appears to have relied on second hand reports that
were not entirely accurate.

Nabil was very literate; and his prose, I have been told, is of high
quality.

Because of this, it will continue to enjoy an enviable place in
Baha'i literature, just as Baha'u'llah and the New Era does.  but
neither should be necessarily be considered the definitive statement
on the areas they cover.

Don C

- - - - -
He who believes himself spiritual proves he is not.