> According to Baha'i belief, though, this woman apparently became a
> Covenant-breaker and got a spiritual disease on her acceptance of the Bab
> and becoming a Babi.

The woman could not possibly be a Covenant-breaker if she had never heard of
Baha'u'llah.  After all, it's Baha'u'llah's Covenant we're talking about.

> Is there something bad about belief
> in the Bab?

Are you not a Baha'i?
Do you not know Who the Blessed Bab is?

> Shoghi Effendi says that people who haven't heard of the Baha'i
> Faith have an excuse, and she hadn't, so I would have thought she had an
> excuse.  I'm sure I'm missing something about Covenant-breaking here.  Did
> this woman have a spiritual disease?

Certainly not because she believed in the Bab.

> If no, then that would be to say that one couldn't say that
> Babi's are necessarily Covenant-breakers.

Certainly not if they've never heard of Baha'u'llah.

> From the Writings one gets the
> impression that they are all bad.

Only Bab'is who failed to accept Baha'u'llah after learning of Him.