[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< Actually I'm 26 now, though I can understand how my message could give a
 different impression.

 David >>

Then I would suggest you not worry about your mother's concerns over TV and
such and set your own standards. As to your children you'll just have to muddle
along as best you can. That's what parents do - muddle - and hope for the
best.

When i was raised there was no such thng as ratings for movies or TV (I was
born in 1947, so there was barely TV at all). The first time I was ever aware
of "parental control" as an issue for children was when I was eight, and my
mother insisted they give me an adult library card so I could check out and read
whatever I felt was aneccessary instead of having to come down to the library
with me to check out the books on her card.

My mother was very fanatic on not limiting a child's (or anyone else's)
access to the printed word.

 I ahve two daughters, I have extended that philosophy to my children. My
wife was a little doubtful - may still be for all I know, but as far as reading
was concerned I give carte blanche.

As to movies and television? Well, if I have concerns I discuss them with my
daughters and we decide together what should be viewed. If I have questions I
see it with them and try to answer honestly. I do not think any kind of rating
or censorship setting is viable if it does not involve the children with
their parents consultatively. I have no problem taking a child into see an R movie
if that child is mine, and we have discussed it in advance. I took my older
daughter to see "Saving Private Ryan" even though she was sixteen at the time.
My younger daughter did not go to see it at that time since she was only nine,
but it was her decision as much as mine.

Regards,

Scott