Gilberto wrote:

> Ok then. So in your opinion what were the original God-given rules
> governing warfare which were followed by Muhammad and Hussein?

[D.A.L.] I cannot claim to have a sufficiently deep understanding of Islam
to give you a good answer to this.  I've based my understanding on the
statements by many Muslims that Islam is a peaceful religion.

Gilberto:
> Offhand, that sounds no more violent than the Bahai faith.

[D.A.L.] Beside the early formative years in which the Babís and Bahá'ís
clashed with the Islamic theocracy, I cannot understand why you see the
Bahá'í Faith as being violent.  You seem to be kind of stuck on this point,
whereas I see no reality to back you up.

> Gilberto:
> In terms of world history, the Muslim world has generally been more
> peaceful. If you look at Christendom there is alot of disunity and
> violence which comes from the West, through the colonial period, and
> the rise if nation-states.

[D.A.L.] I can't argue with that.  I agree with your point about
Christendom.  I don't, however, see how that supports the allegation that
the Bahá'í Faith is characterized by a history of violence.

> Gilberto:
> And the early Christians started off as pacifist. Preaching
> non-resistance and turning the other cheek. You have no basis for
> saying that Bahais wouldn't do the same if they were given the power.

[D.A.L.] My basis for that statement is my understanding of my religion.
It's true that I can't predict the future.

Gilberto:
> Incidentally, isn't the Bahai faith pro-life? Is abortion the same as
> murder? In the Bahai faith would stopping abortions be considered the
> same as stopping a murder?

[D.A.L.] I think that all religions are ultimately pro-life.  This is as
much a cultural issue as a religious one.  Your question whether abortion is
the same as murder is one that has caused dissension for generations, and I
don't think we can settle it here.  The Bahá'í Faith allows a great deal of
personal freedom, and probably most of us (Bahá'ís) would agree that there
are times when abortion is justified....although I do not speak for anyone
but myself.

I can't help thinking of the situation in the reactionary Islamic
theocracies where the victim of a rape is considered to have shamed her
community, and is in danger of being put to death.  This would be unlikely
to occur in either a Christian or Bahá'í setting.

Dave Lambert
www.vintagerr.com