"It would appear that the Jews
of Medina, seeing the poverty of the Muslims, derided the latters'
conviction that they were struggling in God's cause and that the
Qur'an was divinely revealed. Thus, the "saying" of the Jews mentioned
in this verse, "God's hand is shackled", as well as the parallel one
in 3 : 181, "God is poor while we are rich", is an elliptical
description of their attitude towards Islam and the Muslims - an
attitude of disbelief and sarcasm which could be thus paraphrased: "If
it were true that you Muslims are doing God's will, He would have
bestowed upon you power and riches; but your poverty and your weakness
contradict your claim -"

In other words triumphalism.

That is rather the lines along which Yassir has argued against the Faith,
isn't it? That if we were a true religion we would be running Iran or maybe
the rest of the world by now.

warmest, Susan