At 4:02 AM -0400 9/3/05, Gilberto Simpson wrote:
 >
 I consider Juan Cole to be a Baha`i, even though he has splintered himself
 off of the body of the faith.

Wow. I'm actually impressed. In the past I've found Bahais who would
not say he was one of their number.

He professes the Prophethood of Baha`u'llah
 and the Writings as the Truth.

Yes.

 Personally, I believe that putting my own ego
 ahead of unity is wrong, but that is for me to say only about myself.

Actually I read that he "voluntarily" removed himself from the Bahais
in order to not be divisive.


That's not what he said initially. His argument when he withdrew from the Faith was -
Baha'u'llah stated that the House of Justice was infallible;
The House of Justice had made rulings which he (Juan) considered erroneous;
Therefore Baha'u'llah was in error;
Therefore He could not be a Manifestation of God.

About a year later, he stated he now believed that Baha'u'llah was a Manifestation of God, but was not requested membership in the Faith. He *may* have said at that time that he was not requesting re-instatement in order to avoid divisiveness, I don't remember. I wasn't following talisman very close by then, and soon after unsubscribed.

I think you can consider Juan an unenrolled Baha'i by choice. Such people have been floating around the U.S. since the late 60's. The one thing they seem to have in common is an objection to the administration; generally, from what I've seen, an objection to any form of administration. The last one I actually met before being on line was living on the streets of Des Moines IA in the late 80's.

Don C

--
-.-.-.-.-
He who believes himself spiritual proves he is not.





The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail") is sent 
by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be confidential and 
for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The information may be protected by 
federal and state privacy and disclosures acts or other legal rules. If the reader of this message 
is not the intended recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or 
copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please 
immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and permanently delete this e-mail message 
and any attachments thereto. Thank you.


__________________________________________________


You are subscribed to Baha'i Studies as: mailto:[email protected]
Unsubscribe: send a blank email to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subscribe: send subscribe bahai-st in the message body to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subscribe: http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/all_forums/subscribe?name=bahai-st
Baha'i Studies is available through the following:
Mail - mailto:[email protected]
Web - http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/?forum=bahai-st
News - news://list.jccc.edu/bahai-st
Public - http://www.escribe.com/religion/bahaist
Old Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]
New Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]

Reply via email to