Brent Poirier wrote:

Mark is a sociologist.  I would compare this to a physician who holds strong 
moral opinions and has a well-defined belief system. But when a patient is 
before him and he is caring for him, he does not care what that person's 
beliefs are; in fact does not care if the person is a criminal.  He just goes 
about healing him, and detaches from those value opinions.  In my mind this is 
analagous to a sociologist who studies social phenomena objectively.  He has to 
detach from his own belief system when doing so.  That same person, when giving 
a deepening -- that's a circumstance when his personal views on things very 
much matter.  So, sometimes Mark puts on his sociologist's hat, and sometimes 
puts on his individual Baha'i hat, when speaking on this list.  You or I might 
feel that if we were sociologists of religion we'd do it differently.  Maybe we 
would, but it's really hard to tell, unless you're in a situation and you 
understand the requisites and dynamics of it.
Brent
Brent,
I am a nurse practitioner, who works in a jail. I treat people who are criminals in the strictest definition of the word. Many of them tell me they are innocent some flat out say that they are not. Either way it's irrelevent to the care they recieve. That being said, I do not take anything they say at face value, it would be disasterous. I am also honest enough to tell my patients/inmates when I think they are feeding me a load of manure. That being said, while I respect Mark as a sociologist, I believe the responses on this list should reflect a Baha'i perspective first as its purpose is to explore the Faith, not academias view of the Faith.

I will also take this time to make a confession. After grad school and being taught about patient care from academics who hadn't seen a patient since the Johnson administartion, I must admit my view of academics has been soured somewhat.

Rich









The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail") is sent 
by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be confidential and 
for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The information may be protected by 
federal and state privacy and disclosures acts or other legal rules. If the reader of this message 
is not the intended recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or 
copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please 
immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and permanently delete this e-mail message 
and any attachments thereto. Thank you.


__________________________________________________


You are subscribed to Baha'i Studies as: mailto:[email protected]
Unsubscribe: send a blank email to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subscribe: send subscribe bahai-st in the message body to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subscribe: http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/all_forums/subscribe?name=bahai-st
Baha'i Studies is available through the following:
Mail - mailto:[email protected]
Web - http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/?forum=bahai-st
News - news://list.jccc.edu/bahai-st
Public - http://www.escribe.com/religion/bahaist
Old Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]
New Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]

Reply via email to