On 9/7/05, Susan Maneck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Gilberto:
> Why is that even an issue?"
 
> Dear Gilberto,
 
> I'm merely pointing out they really aren't a separate 
> religion in any
> meaningful sense, they are more and appendage to Judaism.

I think it depends on what you mean exactly. Soem other examples which
come to mind are the Judaism of Ethiopian Jews, the Karites, Hebrew
Israelites, and other Messianic groups who make some attempt to follow
the Torah. In different ways they are dependent on and independent
from "Judaism". And the exact relationship probably depends on the
specific group and the individual.

> "I don't see what kind of "legitimacy" you are talking 
> about."
 
> By that I mean no Jew would accept a "Jew for Jesus" as a > Jew. By the same 
> token a Christian Noachide is a 
> contradiction in terms.

I think Mark took the words out of my mouth on the first point. But as
to the second, I never said anything about Christian Noachides. But
Messianic Noachides is something different. I don't see why a Noachide
couldn't accept Jesus as a human (non-divine, not a member of the
Trinity) messiah.
 
> "So I don't see why it would be
> your business to decide whether their beliefs are "legitimate". They
> believe what they believe."


> I'm not commenting on their beliefs, I'm commenting on their religious
> identification. Just as someone who believes in Baha'u'llah should not call
> themselves a Muslim instead of a Baha'i, so one who believes in Jesus should
> not call themselves a Jew or a Noachide instead of a Christian. Otherwise
> the terms become meaningless.

I think it depends on the case.

Peace

Gilberto


-- 
"There are no poets"


 
 
The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail") 
is sent by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be 
confidential and for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The 
information may be protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts 
or other legal rules. If the reader of this message is not the intended 
recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or 
copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail 
in error please immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and 
permanently delete this e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.
 
 
__________________________________________________
 

You are subscribed to Baha'i Studies as: mailto:[email protected]
Unsubscribe: send a blank email to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subscribe: send subscribe bahai-st in the message body to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subscribe: http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/all_forums/subscribe?name=bahai-st
Baha'i Studies is available through the following:
Mail - mailto:[email protected]
Web - http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/?forum=bahai-st
News - news://list.jccc.edu/bahai-st
Public - http://www.escribe.com/religion/bahaist
Old Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]
New Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]

Reply via email to