Rich,
At 08:11 PM 9/9/2005, you wrote:
>>I guess I don't. When I'm treating patients, I'm a Baha'i.<<
I am always a Baha'i, always a sociologist, and always an individual. I have no
problem simultaneously seeing an issue from various perspectives associated
with each of these statuses.
>>Only in that you said you had no choice. I was this example to illustrate
>>that you did have a choice and you made it.<<
My point was that, as a sociologist of religion, I have no choice but to
acknowledge a person's religious identity. Although I am not a Weberian, I
don't see how I can do sociology without having at least a minimal degree of
Verstehen ("to understand" in Weber's sense of empathic understanding).
I wrote:
>>>>This is a Baha'i studies list, not a Baha'i list. In any event, I think
>>>>that my responses have reflected my views both as a sociologist and as a
>>>>Baha'i.<<<<
You replied:
>>Fair enough, Then, I respectfully disagree with you.<<
Are you disagreeing that this is a Baha'i studies, not a Baha'i, list?
Via moderna, Mark A. Foster . http://markfoster.net
... since [a] word is said to be common, it can be called
a universal. - Wm. of Ockham, Summa Logicae, part I
Structurization Tech: http://tech.structurization.com
The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail")
is sent by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be
confidential and for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The
information may be protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts
or other legal rules. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or
copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail
in error please immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and
permanently delete this e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.
__________________________________________________
You are subscribed to Baha'i Studies as: mailto:[email protected]
Unsubscribe: send a blank email to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subscribe: send subscribe bahai-st in the message body to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subscribe: http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/all_forums/subscribe?name=bahai-st
Baha'i Studies is available through the following:
Mail - mailto:[email protected]
Web - http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/?forum=bahai-st
News - news://list.jccc.edu/bahai-st
Public - http://www.escribe.com/religion/bahaist
Old Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]
New Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]