You are taking the passage out of context. It is addressed to religious
leaders, not scientists. The standards and sciences referred to are those of
Islamic theology.
warmest, Susan
No I'm not. I may be interpreting it differently than you, but I am not
taking it out of context. The standards of modern materialism &
secularism that are used to dismiss religion in general as well as the
Faith in particular are just as aplicable to this verse as are the
theological disputations of the Shi'a. I was reading some of EG Brown's
memoirs the other day and he recounted a conversation he had with Mirza
Haydar Ali, in which he posited a similar question regarding reason and
revelation. Mirza Haydar Ali responded that reason must be used to find
the Manifestation, but once He is found and accepted one must obey even
if it goes against ones reason.
I'm not saying that we should become blind robots, but I also believe
that reason has it's limitations. I believe that that was what Kant and
Wittgenstein were getting at. Somethings go beyond reason, they are
articles of faith and reason cfannot take you there. One of these is
following what the Manifestation said. To bring it back to my original
issue, Jesus said that there were many who would claim to speak in his
name, but He will say I never knew you. Whom am I to believe, those who
claim to speak in Jesus's name or Jesus? Baha'u'llah says if people
don't follow the covenant, they are not Baha'is, that is the guideline
I'm going by.
Rich
The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail") is sent
by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be confidential and
for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The information may be protected by
federal and state privacy and disclosures acts or other legal rules. If the reader of this message
is not the intended recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or
copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please
immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and permanently delete this e-mail message
and any attachments thereto. Thank you.
__________________________________________________
You are subscribed to Baha'i Studies as: mailto:[email protected]
Unsubscribe: send a blank email to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subscribe: send subscribe bahai-st in the message body to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subscribe: http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/all_forums/subscribe?name=bahai-st
Baha'i Studies is available through the following:
Mail - mailto:[email protected]
Web - http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/?forum=bahai-st
News - news://list.jccc.edu/bahai-st
Public - http://www.escribe.com/religion/bahaist
Old Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]
New Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]