Dear Mr. Cooney,

I thank you for your kind reply. Perheps, I didn't phrase nor emphasise my query appropriately. I was trying to refer to the fact that Baha'ullah refers to the afterlife as a plane of existance that cannot be comprehended (correct me, if I have erred please). I ask why wasn't this the case in Arabia 1400 years ago? Things seemed to be more literally expounded upon.

It wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that the Arabs would have referred to anything in the afterlife literally, as done so in the Traditions of Muhammad and the present thinking of the majority of Muslims. There are few references to (explicit) symbolism in the Qur'an as opposed to the Baha'i scriptures. So, I ask, why are we more capable of understanding this particular outlook on what is to come than those in Arabia?

Much obliged,
Monder M Zbaeda

Steve Cooney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
In the Abrahamic faiths preceeding the Baha'i faith, the Afterlife (overlap with Day of Judgement), as a topic has been dealt with a great deal in the scriptures. Images of eutopia versus eternal chastisement depending on our 'wordly' deeds have been portrayed numerous times. To my understanding, according to the Baha'i faith, the next life isn't discussed much. The concepts of heaven and hell are metaphors for nearness and remoteness from God's grace and mercy, and not much else, apart from the fact that the soul still progresses towards it's Lord in the 'land of Abha'.

[Steve Cooney]
Monder,

I respectfully disagree, this is a major topic in the Baha'i teachings, and there are probably more compilations and texts on this topic than any other. The Baha'i texts make constant reference to the spirit world, the Supreme Concourse, this world as preparation for the next, the denizens of the next world guiding this one and so on.

One of the best collections of texts, but by no means the only one, is Hugh Motlagh's The Glorious Journey to God. And this only assembles the extent English materials.

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail") is sent by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be confidential and for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The information may be protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts or other legal rules. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and permanently delete this e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.