I was wondering if there is anything in the Writings that states the Baha'i position on the empty tomb as mentioned in the Gospels. Is there anything stating whether Jesus' empty tomb was historically true or just meant to be taken symbolically? The only thing I know of is just a pilgrim's note, in which Shoghi Effendi is reported as having said that the disciples hid Jesus' body under the wall of Jerusalem. Even if Shoghi Effendi said that I would be speptical as to whether that was based on something in the Writings or just his guess. I strongly suspect that if 'Abdu'l-Baha commented on it He would have said the story was not literally true. Given that the virgin birth is the only 'miracle' passage I've seen affirmed as literal in the Gospels I would have to imagine the empty tomb story, which contains the supernatural details of an angel appearing and rolling back the tombstone (plus an earthquake), would not be taken literally. Matthew, the only writer who has an angel rolling back the tombstone, had just prior to this reported events that 'Abdu'l-Baha says are not literal (Matthew 27:51-53). So I would be surprised if the historicity of the empty tomb is affirmed. If one does affirm it then the only way one can argue against a physical resurrection is to come up with a theory with as much proof behind it as the claim that Jesus married Mary Magdalene. Matthew's story of the guard argues against theft of the body and implies that Jesus' body left the tomb through supernatural means.

Regards,
David




The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail") is sent 
by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be confidential and 
for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The information may be protected by 
federal and state privacy and disclosures acts or other legal rules. If the reader of this message 
is not the intended recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or 
copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please 
immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and permanently delete this e-mail message 
and any attachments thereto. Thank you.


_________________________________________________________________


Find the coolest online games @ http://xtramsn.co.nz/gaming


__________________________________________________
You are subscribed to Baha'i Studies as: mailto:[email protected]
Unsubscribe: send a blank email to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subscribe: send subscribe bahai-st in the message body to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subscribe: http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/all_forums/subscribe?name=bahai-st
Baha'i Studies is available through the following:
Mail - mailto:[email protected]
Web - http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/?forum=bahai-st
News - news://list.jccc.edu/bahai-st
Public - http://www.escribe.com/religion/bahaist
Old Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]
New Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]

Reply via email to