At 2:11 AM +0000 9/12/06, firestorm wrote:
however, as the senior surviving peace officer (the rank was de-legislated after my career started) in the state of arkansas, and as a lecturer on police ethics for lorman educational, i would offer that actually, police do prevent crime.

Not according to recent studies. Would you like me to get the references from our Police Chief?

In fact crime tends to go up with the increase of police officers because average citizens say, "It's not my responsibility".

The most effective deterrents to crime are social pressure and the fear of getting caught. That's why Community Policing modules are so effective. You get people involved. Initially, it increases the chance of getting caught; but as they progress, they increase the visibility of social pressure against not only criminal but all asocial activity, as defined by the community.

using any means necessary (check the tablet by the Master where He randomly talks about tobacco, and sooooooo many people love to push that one, rather than deal with its entirety) to destroy the traffic in opium.

"Any" means? How about summary execution for possession? I guarantee there would be a dramatic decline in usage as well as having a dramatic effect on the population problem.

Treatment, counseling and social services are both more effective and efficient. It takes a lot of work to set up such a system, and pilot programs can be costly until a certain size if attained. But with full time help, over the life of a 2 year program for participants, not only is the cost lower than incarceration, the recidivism rate is dramatically lower.

Don C
--

-.-.-.-.-
He who believes himself spiritual proves he is not.

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail") is sent
by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be confidential and
for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The information may be protected by
federal and state privacy and disclosures acts or other legal rules. If the reader of this message
is not the intended recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or
copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please
immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and permanently delete this e-mail message
and any attachments thereto. Thank you.