Dean Betts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Is "One" the name of a character in this book?

Good question. In a word no, but a word doesn't suffice. So . . . .

I had to invent a pronoun usage for a creature that is made up of two entities in close union. "I", "You", "He", "She", "We and Us" didn't work.
Collectively they are "The Ahnal" Ahnal being the name they share. The male and the female have separate names, but not separate identities, in a way. The race is the only non-human race in full partnership in the Alliance. Other races not being so technologically advanced on first contact. Sophont species, however, are very rare.

"One" as a pronoun was set up earlier in the book, but far enough before that quote that it wouldn't make sense to go back that far.

Speculative fiction seems to need speculation. They have the ability to create chords in speech and speak in a kind of musical glyph that cannot be imitated by a human being's larynx, though with great study a person might learn to understand some of the language as it is spoken. It's necessary to use an electronic device as a translator.

I am sorry for the long-winded explanation.

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail") is sent by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be confidential and for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The information may be protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts or other legal rules. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and permanently delete this e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.

As human beings, we are endowed with freedom of choice, and we cannot shuffle off our responsibility upon the shoulders of God or nature. We must shoulder it ourselves. It is our responsibility.
Arnold J. Toynbee
__________________________________________________ You are subscribed to Baha'i Studies as: mailto:archive@mail-archive.com Unsubscribe: send a blank email to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe: send subscribe bahai-st in the message body to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe: http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/all_forums/subscribe?name=bahai-st Baha'i Studies is available through the following: Mail - mailto:bahai-st@list.jccc.edu Web - http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/?forum=bahai-st News - news://list.jccc.edu/bahai-st Public - http://www.escribe.com/religion/bahaist Old Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/bahai-st@list.jccc.net New Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/bahai-st@list.jccc.edu