Dear Susan,
Thank you for sharing this with us. The idea that
responsibility pertains to having the ability to
respond is to honor our inherent freewill. To
recognise/respond "Am I not your Lord?" is a choice.
Karen

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Dear friends,
>
> As the last announcement indicated, I'm presenting a
> paper at the
> American Academy of Religion this weekend. I've not
> written the
> conclusion yet, but I'd like to share with you what
> I have and get
> your feedback.
>
> warmest, Susan
>
> The Covenant as Responsiveness
>

> When Baha'is discuss the concept of covenant as it
> applies to their
> teachings they usually describe the chain of
> authority designed to
> maintain their unity.  They typically focus on what
> is commonly called
> the Lesser Covenant as embodied in such documents
> such as the Kitab-i
> Ahd, Baha'u'llah's will appointing Abdu'l-Baha as
> His successor and
> the Will and Testament of Abdu'l-Baha which
> appointed Shoghi Effendi
> as Guardian of the Baha'i Faith after Him and called
> for the election
> of the Universal House of Justice.  Hence, the
> Covenant is seen as
> that which obliges individual Bahá'ís to accept the
> leadership of
> Bahá'u'lláh's appointed successors and the
> administrative institutions
> of the Faith.
>
>       But there is another Covenant upon which this
> lesser Covenant is
> predicated.  Frequently this is called the 'greater
> Covenant', namely
> the Covenant which God has made with all humanity,
> wherein He promises
> us continuing guidance through His Messengers
> Manifestations as
> Baha'is call them, while we are obligated to
> recognize and obey them.
> It is primarily this greater Covenant I wish to
> focus my attention on
> today, for it is my contention that unless our
> understanding of the
> Lesser Covenant is grounded in the greater one, the
> depth of its
> significance will largely be missed.
>

>        If we look at this greater Covenant as it has
> been described
> and understood throughout much of history we will
> find that this
> obligation to recognize and obey has been
> articulated in terms of
> responsiveness and remembrance. It is this theme of
> responsiveness and
> remembrance that will be examined in this paper.
>
>       The Baha'i Faith concept of covenant, was not
> born in a vacuum.
> It sees itself as a continuation of the Abrahamic
> line of religions
> and its concept of covenant is ultimately linked to
> those traditions.
> Christians divide their Bible into two sections, the
> Old and New
> Testament, the term testament signifying covenant.
> In Judaism the
> term covenant in relationship to God appears first
> in the Torah in
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

Karen Gould, Certified Coach
PEAT Processor and Trainer
IAM ProtocolT Facilitator
CIH, Holistic Healing Coach, Reiki III
http://www.workasworship.com
http://www.peatprocessor.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
817-658-3306 cell

"The foundation of all the divine religions is one.
All are based upon reality. -The Baha'i Faith

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail")
is sent by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be
confidential and for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The
information may be protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts
or other legal rules. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or
copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail
in error please immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and
permanently delete this e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.