The Baha'i Studies Listserv
Resending, comments?

----- Mensaje reenviado ----
De: Hasan Elías <hasanel...@yahoo.com>
Para: Baha'i Studies <bahai-st@list.jccc.edu>
Enviado: mar, junio 15, 2010 11:25:16 PM
Asunto: possibilites of remembering Shoghi Effendi's birth or passing or some
date related to his work?

The Baha'i Studies Listserv

Possibilities of celebrate the Guardian birth or passing or some date related
to his work?
Of course, this is not with the intention of adding another Bahá’í Holy Day;
this is just as a date to remember him and his huge work. I also think we
should know more and study his beautiful Tablets and prayers (unfortunately
only farsi-arabic speakers have and edge here).

There are some points in favor or against this idea:
Favor:
·                     He is the only Guardian of the Bahá’í Faith.
·                     He is part of both Holy Families (Agshan and Afnan).
·                     He rise, almost alone, the Administrative Order.
·                     His example of life, work and effort are huge, almost
unreachable for a human being.
·                     The Imams is a similar institution. Though this is other
Dispensation, the celebration of the dates (even Temples) related to Imams is
not seeing as inadequate for the Central Figures.
·                     We love him, he has more than many merits.
Against:
·                     In his time, he emphatically rejects the idea of a
Guardian being praised, but I don’t see a problem to remember (remember≠praise)
only one Guardian.
·                     The Guardian is a part of the Administrative Order.

Strong words of the W&T: http://bahai-library.com/writings/abdulbaha/wt/1.html

Shoghi Effendi--the youthful branch branched from the two hallowed and sacred
Lote-Trees and the fruit grown from the union of the two offshoots of the Tree
of Holiness,-- as he is the sign of God, the chosen branch, the Guardian of the
Cause of God, he unto whom all the Aghsán, the Afnán, the Hands of the Cause of
God and His loved ones must turn.
The mighty stronghold shall remain impregnable and safe through obedience to
him who is the Guardian of the Cause of God. It is incumbent upon the members
of the House of Justice, upon all the Aghsán, the Afnán, the Hands of the Cause
of God to show their obedience, submissiveness and subordination unto the
Guardian of the Cause of God, to turn unto him and be lowly before him.

In a pilgrim note http://bahai-library.com/ransom-kehler_haifa_talks he
rejected the idea of being addressed as “lord”, “Thine”, (of course he is
ontologically a human being). He disagrees with the absurd idea of celebrating
many dates of many guardians a year (but we have only one!!!), this is the
note:

“This is absolutely heretical. Such things are not permissible. It is wrong to
address me as Lord or Master, or Thee or Thine. I had to send a very abrupt
cable to the friends in Bombay to prevent them from celebrating my birthday. If
this starts now there will be no end to it. The first Guardian's birthday, the
first Guardian's death, the tenth Guardian's accession. They would have 400
Guardian's celebrations in 365 days. Nor must they refer to me as His Holiness.
These things have no place in our Faith, they savour of popishness”.