The Baha'i Studies Listserv
I read a quote some time ago that speaks to Brent's point about avoiding
certain sites and materials.

Dee Hock is the founder and the former CEO of Visa International and has a
very good book called, "The Birth of the Chaotic Age".  He notes, "The
problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts in your mind, but how
to get the old ones out."

Problem with CBing materials is that they leave a permanent imprint in our
mind, bias our view and everything else we read is colored by that bias.
This not just true about CBer materials, but any sort of negative or attack
material.  For instance, if I read "Obama is a smoker", the thought of him
being a smoker (not that there's really anything wrong with being a smoker)
lingers on and colors everything else I read or hear about Obama.  Which is
why in politics, negative ads are so powerful and effective.

Now, if I'm very knowledgeable about Mr. Obama and a huge fan, then the
effect of negative comments about him are less or may be in fact
negligible.  But if I'm only a little familiar with him and his policies,
then any negative comment will have a notable impact.

CBer materials are like very negative ads.  If a person is relatively new to
the Bahai Faith and has not had a chance to read broadly and experience the
Baha'i community, then negative comments will have a notable impact and will
greatly cloud one's judgement.  So, care and caution should be exercised.

--
Ahang Rabbani, PhD
http://ahang.rabbani.googlepages.com/