Dear Rich,

The answer to your question is simple.

Four poisons have gripped the West.

1.) Sexual obsession: this may manifest as promiscuity
or as avoidance of the subject entirely, sometimes by
the same people at the same time.  It also manifests
in the frictions between men and women.  Many men are
angry with women - and many women are angry with men
around sexual issues.  This anger explodes into the
family in many forms, not the least of which is
domestic violence.  This is an issue our LSA's are
being asked to examine and watch for in our
communities.  The "don't talk about it" rule is both
silly and destructive.  It's not going to go away.

2.)  Substance abuse.  This manifests in so many ways
I can't begin to list them all.  The destruction being
wreaked on our society by this pernicious influence is
enormous.

3.) Vengeance.  We want to get revenge on everybody.
>From the common criminal to the international
terrorist.  We don't want to ask the hard questions
and find solutions--we want even.

4.) Greed.  We suffer from a bad case of what I once
heard aptly described as "more-ism".  Whatever it is
---we want more.

As Baha'is we have an obligation to understand these
issues and hopefully to find both appropriate and
realistic solutions in the writings.

Sheila