>  I really don't see 'Abdu'l-Baha connecting the 'government' and the
> 'executive' with the Secondary Houses of Justice in the passage from the
> Will and Testament and there is at least one talk 'Abdu'l-Baha is said to
> have stated the following rather explicitly:
>
>  Again, I repeat, the House of Justice, whether National or Universal, has
> only legislative power and not executive power...
> (From words of 'Abdu'l-Bahá in: Star of the West, Vol. VII, No. 15, pp.
> 138-139)

But I am primarly arguing that the Bahai model is highly decentralised, the
executive/business end of government is largely at the local level of the
world federal system, just as the pattern is set in the present day BAO.

Well, this *is* in fact one of Latimers citations I already noted., but
Abdu'l-Baha is only implicit as the source. Latimer probably received a lot
of Tablets from the Master though.:

*
THE HOUSE OF JUSTICE

 "Two things are most urgently necessary to the political realm:

 1. The Legislative Power.
 2. The Executive Power.

 The center of the executive power is the government, and the legislative
power lies in the hands of thoughtful and wise men. On the other hand, if
these strong pillars and firm foundations are not complete and
comprehensive, how can it be supposed that there will be safety and
salvation for the nation? But as, in these latter days, such excellence is
rare, the government and the whole body of the nation are in sore need of
just and discerning directions. Thus it is of the utmost importance to
establish an assembly of learned men, who, being proficient in the different
sciences and capable of dealing with all the present and future requirements
will settle the questions in accordance with forbearance and firmness."

 After pointing out the necessity for the establishment of "Councils" and
"Deliberative Assemblies" as the solid basis of politics, Abdul Baha lays
down certain rules that will make these organizations permanent. "Firstly:
The
elected members must be religious persons, God fearing, high minded and
followers of the law. Secondly: They should have an accurate knowledge of
the divine commandments, of the most important fundamental matters and of
the rules of the loosing and binding of domestic affairs and foreign
relations; they should possess a knowledge of the sciences and arts
necessary to civilization, and finally be contented with the income derived
from their personal property."

  As to the election of such men he says: 'The election of temporary members
of the assemblies of the kingdom should depend upon the choice and
satisfaction of the public, for members elected by the people are pledged to
carry out their will, and to follow out their iss tr catkins Consequently
they are careful to administer impartial justice, and to live according to
true religion, so that they may establish a good reputation a. nd keep their
dignity in the eyes of the people."

 These Councils are called Houses of Justice and every community, village,
town, city, and nation will be under the control of one of these bodies.
>From all the different National Houses of Justice members will be chosen to
compose an Universal House of Justice, to have charge of the international
problems.

"All the civic affairs and the legislation of material laws for the
increasing needs of the enlightened humanity belong to the House of Justice.
This, the House of Justice, will be not only a body for the legislation of
laws according to the spirit and requirement of the time, but a board of
arbitration for the settlement of all disputes arising between peoples. When
the Universal House of Justice is organized the members will do their utmost
for the realization of greater cordiality and comity amongst the nations.
The laws of BAHAOLLAH are the unchangeable, organic laws of the Universal
House of Justice. They are the very foundation upon which the structure of
additional legislation is built."

"As regards the places for the convening of such a general body, it will be
decided by the members. The Universal House of Justice has only the
legislative function; the executive power  belongs to the administrative
department of government. At first, National Houses of Justice will be
established in every country, and they will elect in turn members to the
Universal House of Justice.
 Again I repeat, the House of  Justice, whether National or Universal, has
only legislative power, and not executive power. For example, in Europe
 and America the Parliament or Congress enact laws. while the Government
executes frees laws. The House of Justice cannot fulfill two functions at
the same ti'me legislative and executive."

 The chief concern of the government is the establishment of equal justice
and equal opportunity amongst its citizens.

 Therefore the members of the House of Justice must close the door to
political pirates and their bribery, abolish their personal hatreds and
crown themselves with wisdom, piety, truthfulness, capability, bene valence
and zeal and such attributes that will prevent oppression, injustice and
mismanagement of affairs.

Here's a chunk of a later version by Latimer "A New Social Contract", in
which he adds judicial functions.

" The tie that binds the storehouse to the House of Justice is the surplus
at the end of the year, which may be turned over to the House of Justice.
When such a ys em is established, each individual member of the body politic
will live in the utmost comfort and happiness, and the degrees will be
preserved. Cooperation and consultation replace compulsion and dissension.
There is a place in society for each individual, the banker, judge,
merchant, craftsman and farmer, and with the adoption of the storehouse and
village community, comes the realization that the country is the home of the
soul.
 The new social contract under the Baha program is completed with the es
tablishment of the House of Justice. In the political realm two things are
necessary; the Legislative Power and the Bc executive Power. The House of
Justice is the great legislative body. All the civic affairs and the
legislation of material laws for the increasing needs of enlightened
humanity belong to the House of Justice.
 It is not only a body for the legislation of laws, but likewise a board of
arbitration for the settlement of disputes arising between peoples.
 The requisites for membership include an accurate knowledge of the Divine
commandments; a knowledge of the sciences and arts necessary to
civilization; a knowledge of the most important fundamental matters and of
the rules of loosing and binding of domestic affairs and foreign relations;
and the members must be God fearing, high minded and followers of the law.
 There are three stages of the House of Justice, local, national and
international.

 The local ones are established, not in each village, but one in each large
coxnmtlnity, such as one for each county in England or one for each state in
our own country.

 The people elect a large committee, and this committee appoints or elects
the members of the local House. Once each year representatives of each local
House convene at some designated place and elect ditait cur the members of
the national House of Justice, either from their own members or from others.
The national House directs the affairs of the country.

 Then the members of the various Houses of Justice. for example, from
Washington, Paris, London, Rome and so on, will convene in some prearranged
international city, and there elect in the same manner the international
House of Justice. The international House of Justice is somewhat like the
League of Nations; with one main difference, the League is not
representative of all the nations of the world, while the House of Justice
will be. It will also have the necessary power and authority to maintain its
integrity, enforce its laws and insure to the world permanent peace. Justice
becomes then the chief concern of every government, of every institution...
SW June 1925, Vol. 16, p. 451

but lets look at a recent publication by Paul Vreeland " World Order and
Global Governance: A Bahai Perspective". The Bahai World: An International
Record 2001-2002. Haifa, BWC. 2003 pp.157-187

"In the Bahai perspective, the two evolving models of the Lesser Peace and
Bahai administrative order will merge to form a future cosmopolitan
(top-down and bottom-upo) world order. The top down model of the Lesser
Peace will accomodate nation-states into the new world order, but national
sovereignty will be limited with many powers ceded to the institution of the
super-state. The model of Bahai administration will contribute the bottom-up
democratic features of republicanism, with National Assemblies evolving into
agencies of sovereign states."

Does that make sense?

Cheers,
Steve.