I would like to raise an issue I have been thinking about for some time, which is whether we can do anything about the major problems that can be seen in many Baha'i young people (pre-youth and youth) today. There are two problems I refer to. One is that quite a few have got caught up with harmful things that will give them physical gratification, such as alcohol, drugs and sex before marriage. The other is the over-importance placed on acceptance by others. I see the latter as the bigger problem, as it effects how many get into drinking alcohol, etc. Caring overly much about what others think of you is a disease, and often leads young Baha'is to violate Baha'i laws and admonitions. Baha'is should have no care for what others think of us, whether we are accepted and how popular we are. Our thoughts should be on what we can do for others, not on things related to our ego such as what others think and how cool we are perceived as being. I submit that more than 90% of the stress the average Baha'i young person experiences is related to what others think of us. I would contend that if these people lived the life of the Dawn-Breakers, focused solely on the will of God, willingly accepting loss of friends, worldly goods, persecution and even death for their beliefs, growing up would not be stressful. Most of the hardships of young people are not sent by God but rather brought on by themselves. There is a link between spirituality and happiness. We need to try to educate the young in such a way that the desire for acceptance and worry about what others think is eliminated, because when it is a person is a lot happier and lives a better life. People cave in to varying degrees to go along with others. At the lowest level, this may be something like avoiding talking to a person who is uncool. This is done because others might see, leading to possible rejection and loss of social status. If that person talks to the cooler person they might end the conversation quickly. For a Baha'i, this is unacceptable. We are to place being nice to others at number one, not number two. If doing this means loss of social rank then you have to live with it. Even if you aren't mean to a person that doesn't mean you are fulfilling your duties as a Baha'i. People notice if you show that you want to have nothing to do with them. Another thing at a similar level is dropping friends because they aren't cool enough and you can have cooler friends. People change groups at high school for this reason all the time, and may completely eschew contact with long-standing very close friends, just because if they didn't they might lose have problems socially. They may really like a friend they dropped, but their egotistical thoughts overpower any desire they might have for keeping the friend, and so they choose popularity over a good friend. In many cases, the new friends aren't people they like any too much, and are immoral losers. While not all cool people are bad spiritually, that tends to be the case. One would be safer hanging around with the nerds, who tend to be good people and very studious. In this regard I have an interesting story to share. I know of a case where there was a very who was badly teased in class at intermediate school. Only two people, a boy and a girl, in this person's class did not tease them. A few years later the boy went on to become dux, and the girl wasn't far off. Is that surprising? Hardly.

Swearing is another lower level example of caving in. Quite a few Baha'is do it, perhaps rationalizing it as a minor sin, and they are doing it only because others do it, and it makes you fit in. Smoking is another. As far as I know, all young Baha'is take up smoking because others do it and they want to fit in. To take up smoking to be cool is a very stupid move (of course it's also condemned by 'Abdu'l-Baha in such vociferous language that one should never want to take it up), and, in my experience, most of the youth that violate laws, such as the laws related to sex before marriage and drugs, are smokers. A lot of them also have tattoos or body piercing, which again they have probably done just to look cool. How much you care about what others think is highly related to how good a Baha'i you are, and I tend to find that non-smoking Bahai youth are better Baha'is than those who smoke. I would be interested in getting views from others on this subject, as I have limited data, referring only to people I know in New Zealand. Lamentably, a number of young Baha'is have begun smoking at youth camps. The smokers have their own area, and they want to be cool and so they go there and smoke. Also, I don't think getting into an addictive habit is of any help spiritually to the young. Perhaps smoking helps in stress relief, but they should learn to deal with problems on their own, and of course they could exercise to reduce stress, which would be far better for them. Those who care most about being cool seem most inclined to seriously transgress Baha'i law. These people often fail to obey the admonishment to "eschew all fellowship with the ungodly." I don't know if all the young are familiar with this, and I'm not sure that this is touched on enough by parents and children's class teachers in general. The one common thing you notice about those who violate laws related to sex, alcohol and drugs is that they have bad friends, ungodly friends. Think for a moment. How many such people do you know of who hang around with goody-goodies all the time? I don't know of any. If those whom the person hangs around with don't do such things the Baha'i won't do them either. The Baha'i would never try drugs if no one else was around to see. They do it just because others will see, and think they are cool. So I think this teaching about avoiding worldly people needs to be emphasized more, and we need to bring young Baha'is to the state where they would feel aversion to the idea to having such people as their friends. We need to reduce their ego's, so that they aren't overemphasizing being popular, have Baha'i ideals first, and choose good friends. If that is done we will have happier Baha'is, less young people will drop out of the Faith, and the workload of the local and national assemblies will be greatly reduced. Members of these bodies have to spend a lot of their personal time addressing such problems, when they could be doing better things, like, say, teaching the Faith. I might also note that many who take up smoking to be cool die a couple decades earlier because of it. They lose a couple decades they could have spent doing services to the Faith just because they wanted to be cool, going against the wish of 'Abdu'l-Baha at the same time.

I want to now raise the issue of who is responsible for the actions of the youth, and for their caring overly much about what others think of them. Let's consider the options (1) The youth are at fault. Their parents may have raised them perfectly and their children's classes and pre-youth/youth classes may have taught them well, (2) The parents are at fault, and any child, or at least most of them, who does things wrong, must not have been taught well enough by his parents. While it may be their fault as well, the parents didn't raise them well enough to necessarily protect them. I suppose I could bring children's classes into this as well. From the Writings it seems that if the child is raised properly they will turn out good. I guess this allows for exceptions for people who may go bad. A person can always go bad, doing something wrong by choice. I'm guessing that Mirza Yahya was raised well. I suppose if they are raised well they would more likely go bad later in life. I heard (this is many years ago) someone who had served in Haifa say that a few kids of House of Justice members were the worst behaved Baha'i youth in Haifa. In my experience, most problem youth come from broken families, living with only one of their parents. If we ignore exceptions for the moment, while the youth may be at fault, I think that the many cases of violation of Baha'i law amongst the young does reflect back to the parents. I think Baha'i parents aren't doing as good a job as they could, and wonder what others think can be done about this. Speaking personally, I think I was raised well, and though I have always obeyed the laws, I did still have some stress related to what others thought when I was growing up, and indeed, like others, I haven't eliminated it. The thoughts I did have about what others think were less than others, however. But I could had a better time if some teacher, whether Baha'i children's class teacher or other, had touched on not worrying about what others thought and not worrying about popularity. This seems to be a sadly neglected part of children's class curriculums, and guess what, we are failing to prepare a lot of the children for the tough years because of it. Maybe there is some material in there that might help make them selfless, but it's not doing enough, and I think more can be done. I would be interested to hear from others what they have noticed in regards to how the children have turned out in relation to how good their parents are, and whether some children have turned out differently to others in the family and why. We need to prepare children early on, because once they start down the wrong path it's difficult to turn back.

Regards,

David

Check out the Xtra gaming servers at  http://xtramsn.co.nz/gaming !

---------- You are subscribed to Baha'i Studies as: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] To unsubscribe send a blank email to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Baha'i Studies is available through the following: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] http://list.jccc.net/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?enter=bahai-st news://list.jccc.net/bahai-st http://www.escribe.com/religion/bahaist (public) http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED] (public)