> Note also that there is calligraphy by
> Muhammad-Ali at Bahji.  I think the story I heard was that one of the
> believers wanted it removed, but Shoghi Effendi said that it was good and
> should thus stay.

There are actually several calligraphy works of Muhammad-`Ali in the
Mansion of Bahji and they were all selected and ordered to be installed by
Shoghi Effendi.  Shoghi Effendi wasn't bothered one iota about the
religious beliefs of Muhammad-Ali or anyone else when it came to
appreciation of their arts, scholarship, etc.  That is, unlike many other
folks, Shoghi Effendi didn't mix apples and oranges.

Muhammad-`Ali had the finest calligraphy in the Baha'i world during the
life time of Baha'u'llah, and in many ways superior to the famous
Mishkin-Qalim.  The latter is lot more artistic and creative, but
Muhammad-Ali's calligraphy are absolute masterpiece!  Sheer genius.  (Of
course, I'm referring to pieces he developed during the life time of
Baha'u'llah and not afterwards.  Some maintain that he lost his art after
his rebellion and Abdu'l-Baha pointed this out to him, but I doubt that the
Master would ever say something like this.)

In fact, even after Muhammad-`Ali's rebellion, Abdu'l-Baha continued to
appreciate his calligraphy.  The Master sent to my grandfather in Kirman a
beautiful piece of the Greatest Name done by Muhammad-Ali (with his famous
signature), and some years ago, I donated it to the House of Justice, and
they were very happy to have it.

Some five years ago, Maryam found a fantastic original "Greatest Name" by
Mirza Muhammad-`Ali in a flea market in Oxford, England and bought it for
15 bucks.  It is absolutely exquisite!

Regards,
ahang.

information that may be privileged, confidential or copyrighted under
applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited.  Please notify the sender
by return e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system.  Unless
explicitly and conspicuously designated as "E-Contract Intended",
this e-mail does not constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment,
or an acceptance of a contract offer.  This e-mail does not constitute
a consent to the use of sender's contact information for direct marketing
purposes or for transfers of data to third parties.