David Friedman wrote:

> >I thought it was against Baha'i teachings to be member of a political
> >party.
> >
> >You're not familiar with running as an independent? i.e. not aligned with
> >any
> >party.
>

> That a person is running
> independently shows that they oppose the Democratic and Republican parties,
> and I thought a Baha'i would avoid saying they didn't support a party.

To me, being an independent means you are not bound by the decisions of the
party hierarchy, or to support their programs.  As a result, you can vote on
an issue solely according to your conscience.

The only places that I am aware of Baha'is being elected to an office has been
in situations where the parties do not or can not get involved.  This
generally means small or very small towns, or low level, essentially
volunteer, positions on boards and committees.  In the case of the
Neighborhood Councils, not only is there no place on the registration form for
indicating political preference, the few overtly political partisans have been
notable failures.

Don C

--
 - - - - -
He who believes himself spiritual proves he is not.