Richard,

At 12:07 PM 12/22/2003 -0800, you quoted:
>>It is neither eclectic in the presentation of its truths, nor arrogant in the
>>affirmation of its claims
>>(Shoghi Effendi, The World Order of Baha'u'llah, p. 58)<<

That is not what I meant by eclectic. I was referring to an idea I introduced on this
list several years ago concerning orthodoxy, orthopraxy, and Alvin J. Reines concept
of polydoxy.

Reines is a Reform Jew, and, as with Judaism, the Baha'i Faith, especially the
post-Guardian Baha'i Faith, is, in my view, much more a religion about orthopraxy
(right praxis) than orthodoxy (right doctrines or beliefs). In other words, we are
members of a polydox Faith which requires only a few fundamental beliefs (basically,
what is on the American declaration card) but many more fundamental behaviors.

The Christianities have largely developed as religions concerned with orthodoxy. The
Baha'i Faith, like Judaism, is more a religion about orthopraxy.

Mark A. Foster * http://MarkFoster.net
http://CompuServe.m.foster.name