Hi, David,

At 06:48 PM 2/5/2004, you wrote:
>>Is Taraf that ridiculous custom where you lie to your host twice when they ask you
>>for a meal, saying you don't want one, and then say you do when they ask you the
>>third time?<<

It may seem ridiculous to a non-Iranian. However, many Western customs might appear
strange, even offensive, to a person from Iran. Etiquette seldom makes sense when
removed from its cultural context.

>>My thought was that this is supposed to show one's humility.  But if you are humble,
>>why would you want to do something so pretentious just to make others aware of it?<<

Taraf is very ceremonial. It probably works best if all the people involved understand
and practice it. That is why I suggested that taraf is not exactly the same as
humility. Perhaps, it would be more accurate to regard it as a custom through which
many Iranian Baha'is express humility and courtesy. However, the same could be said
for most systems of etiquette, could it not?

>>Did 'Abdu'l-Baha follow this custom?  I wouldn't have thought this would be a valid
>>situation to lie.<<

My impression, from reading stories of His life, is that he followed it when
interacting with other Iranians.

>>Either you want a meal or you don't.  If you do, I don't see why you'd lie about it
>>twice.<<

It is not lying if everyone knows what is going on. It is ceremonial etiquette or a
*game*. The confusion arises when a particular system of etiquette is practiced among
people who do not understand it. However, if one is raised to express courtesy in a
particular way, turning it off and on like a switch is easier said than done.

>>They therefore sat there miserable for the rest of the night, really hungry.<<

I think in that case, the problem lies *mostly* with the Iranians. When in Rome ....
However, in spite of that, we can certainly try to understand each other's cultures
and to overlook one another's weaknesses.

Mark A. Foster * http://MarkFoster.net
http://CompuServe.MarkFoster.name