To the esteemed Msr. Bijoux de l’Or (BO)
 
Mon cher Msr. de l'Or
 
Welcome to this glorious city of Paris. I was delighted to hear of your arrival in France, and hope that you will not find our customs not too dissimilar to those of your homeland. Since you will almost certainly be unaware of my name, you may wonder about my apparent familiarity with your fine self, and desire to correspond with you. I trust that you will not deem my approach as disrespectful, for that is certainly not my intention.
 
My knowledge of your good self comes from a (sadly, all too brief) acquaintance with the brave and deeply lamented Major Pierre Olivier Travaux. He often spoke fondly of you, and I feel that you may wish to know a little of the distinguished manner in which he gave his life for the glory of France.
 
As a companion in arms in that most illustrious of cavalry units, the Grand Duke Max Dragoons, Major Travaux - despite his far superior rank - befriended me, and it would be true to say that I owe my life to him, and the noble Colonel Pas de Problem (PdP). The 1st squadron was heavily outnumbered in a most vicious melee, and all seemed lost, when the Major and Colonel intervened. Whilst I freely admit that my limited experience makes me a mere novice at matters of battle, I would never have believed that two men could so influence a battle. They each fought with the strength of ten men, and slowly but surely turned the tide of the battle. Then, tragedy! A lucky blow caught the Major, who fell from his horse. I managed to rally the men, and we sought to defend the fallen hero, although once again, it was the Colonel whose strength and valor proved decisive. The hated foes fled, but it was too late, and, alas, not only for the fallen Major, but, unbeknown to the rest of his men, the Colonel had received fatal injuries while rescuing his subordinates. Truly France has lost two great heroes.
 
Forgive this sad news, but take cheer that our mutual companion could not have died in a more noble manner. I hope to make your personal acquaintance when I return from the front.
 
Your humble and obedient servant
 
Henri
 
Captain Henri Serf-Edly (HSE), Grand Duke Max Dragoons

Reply via email to