'Muslim' shouldn't be a slur

Both McCain and Obama should condemn implicit attacks on Muslims and Arabs.
By Constance L. Rice
October 15, 2008
ยป Discuss Article 
<http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oew-cr15-2008oct15,0,5146410.graffitiboard>
 

//Excuse me, but when did the words "Muslim" and "Arab" become 
acceptable epithets?

I'm not a Muslim, and perhaps I was slow to see this coming. Four months 
ago, I blithely advised a group at a local mosque not to obsess over the 
anti-Muslim undertones of the presidential campaign. At that point, 
Barack Obama was defending his Christian bona fides against 
"accusations" of "being a Muslim" (as if it had suddenly become a 
Class-D felony), but was doing so without condemning the implicit slurs 
against Islam, Muslims and Arabs.

In a "don't worry, be happy" tone, I breezily noted that although the 
stoking of racial fear and xenophobia was a cherished tradition of 
American politics, I really didn't think that this time around the 
candidates would permit the wholesale slander of Islam or Muslims.

Apparently, I was wrong. The undertones have become screaming overtones. 
And it is past time to object.

If it wasn't clear before, it became crystal clear last week in the 
aftermath of Republican rallies. Fomenting fear to shore up drooping 
support, Republicans sadly used heated demagoguery about "palling around 
with terrorists," about "Barack /Hussein/ Obama" and about how Obama 
doesn't "see America like you and I," words that mixed subliminally to 
conflate "terror" with "Muslim" and to whip crowds into xenophobic 
anger. After his enraged supporters were recorded uttering death threats 
and racial slurs, McCain was forced on several occasions to try to tamp 
down the anger in the audience and to defend his opponent.

That was a good step one -- until McCain blew it. A woman stood up in 
the audience and said that she just couldn't trust Obama because, as she 
put it, "he's an Arab." McCain shook his head, took the microphone and 
said: "No, ma'am. He's a decent family man, citizen, that I just happen 
to have disagreements with on fundamental issues."

So, what is he saying? Arabs aren't decent family men? They can't be 
citizens?

The fact is, neither McCain nor Obama -- who continues to combat absurd 
attacks on his Americanness -- has been willing to speak out against the 
implicit slurs against Arabs and Islam.

Is it really too difficult for Obama to respond: "For the hundredth 
time, I am a Christian, and if you are suggesting that there is 
something wrong with Islam or being a Muslim, you are wrong"?

Would it be so hard for McCain to say: "There is no room in my campaign 
or in America for religious or ethnic intolerance -- that's what we're 
fighting against"?

Maybe I missed the denunciations amid all the hoopla over field-dressing 
moose, but it looks like the next ice age will arrive before the NAACP, 
the National Conference of Christians and Jews or the Anti-Defamation 
League loudly objects to the implicit defamation of Muslims and Arabs 
that has seeped into this presidential campaign.

Women rightly protested gender bias during Hillary Clinton's run, but we 
failed to strongly challenge the earlier bias against Mormons during 
Mitt Romney's bid, and we are currently failing to refute the 
anti-Muslim bias embedded in the assaults on Obama.

It is a failure we need to correct now.

/Constance L. Rice is a civil rights attorney in Los Angeles./
// 
/http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-rice15-2008oct15,0,5744288.story/



--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"bangla-vision" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/bangla-vision?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to