PLEASE READ – LONG, PERSONAL BUT IMPORTANT!!


Hello.... some of you may know that I started having problems just as soon as I got home from the hospital but had no way to get back to get checked....... This is a continuation and I need serious feedback,...!  For that reason I sent it to a group I feel very close to.  I need a lawyer or at least the ability to talk to one.  Please fee free to forward this one to one.

Still no way to get to the hospital.  I found a free one today and my mother freaked out.  Why they don't want me to go so bad is beyond my comprehension  Perhaps they think I'll keel over - lol.

I can't believe how stupid I am to listen to her.  Fever at 102.8 - well over the 101.5 they tell you to call for.  She won't even look at the incisions for me to see if she thinks they are worsening.

But get this.  In the hospital from the some friendly but not wise nurses I found out my doc went into bariatrics - a fancy way of saying lap band - BIG money!!  So they had four rooms completely redone in a VERY fancy way so that they could get the big spenders in.  You can't imagine it!  It's insane.. like 1st class on a jet only more so  Well the big week started Monday.

I had problems from the get-go.  Shocky, shivering to where I couldn't hold a pencil, couldn't walk, intense migraines from the meeds they refused to change.  The incisions weren't right, my bladder WOULD NOT WORK so I had to remain catheterized for much longer than others (4 or 5 days) until the risk of infection was worse than the other....

So one day a nurse comes in my mother on the phone.  She wanted to know when I was looking at coming home.   So... I asked the nurse who answered loudly enough, "Not for 3 to 5 more days"  The ave stay is 2 to 3 days.  Unless it goes wrong.

In addition is was on a laparoscopy  but no one told me til a nurse did!!!  3 - 5 DAYS,,, ARGH!  I can handle that,,, I was so sick i just wanted t get better!  In addition as you can tell by my lack of writing skills I was getting confused, losing my vocabulary etc... scary as heck!!  I no longer trusted them and their meds... they seemed to make me sicker.  There was ONE NICE HONEST nurse who I am calling after I send this.

Anyway the nurse conversation at the desk went something like this:

Nurse 1   "I know that Drs T and G want those rooms specifically for the BAR patients.  I thnk it's wrong anyway, because the hospital paid for it, and now we have to play musical beds!" Nurse2   "I agree and now I don't know what the hell to do with patient N!  I am not about to keep moving her, she's not doing well! Nurse3   (glares at 1 and 2) Nurse 2   "Well I'm just going to put her in 5 (6 through10 were the bariatric beds) because I REFUSE to move that poor woman again!" Nurse1   "Sounds like a good plan to me!"

Nurse 3 (glares at 1 and 2 and tels them she needs something out side the station (I presume to warm them about me) Nurse 1 and 2 say they are charting and have to figure out what to do with this poor woman and then the inevitable next ER patient who shows up.

I say   "Do you mean to tell me that it's the docs who get to decide who gets what kind of care and in which room?? Nurse 1, a young nurse and unit secretary says, "That's not how they'd put it, but that's how it is!  (Very angry) Nurse 2   (also angrier by the minute since nurse 3 is a jerk anyway who got in trouble for calling me a "frequent flayer" from when I was in on an emergency and knows that _expression_ is usually reserved for drug seekers finally said, "I have to talk to you about something else now!

Enter Humor

Nurse 1 & 2 totally ignore 3. Me   "It makes me so sick the way things have changed around here!  This place is no longer about patient care!  It's about corporate backed HMOs runing things.  (SO MUCH HAS CHANGED - tell ya later but the nurses are being screwed bad!!! Nurse 1 & 2 laugh cynically and said, "You have no idea how right you are!! Me   "Ohhhhh I think I do!! Me   "I'd better get back to my penthouse suite before they steal that too! Nurse 1   "i CAN'T BELIEVE YOU JUST SAID THAT!!
(Riotous laughter)

So... one day my mother calls,.

Her   How are you doing today?  Better? Me   "Not really.  They won't get me off the stupid dilaudid!!  It causes huge migraines and so I can't walk like I should etc. Me - to Nurse   So when are you getting out? Nurse  Well, 2 to 5 days from the looks of it. My mother   (loud enough to hear the nurse but needed to repeat it anyway since I needed to know it was heard.  Foreboding?  Who knows.

NEXT DAY ) dark-thirty

Dr G (on call for my doc who's on vacation)   "So how are you feeling?
Me   (editing my words)  "Well, honestly I feel terrible.  I cannot get warm, I cannot get rid of the fever, I can't sleep, I have trouble eliminating urine ELIMINATED.  The tremors are out of hand to the point here I can often not do intimate things when I need to which includes dressing, eating and drinking!  In addition the pain is NOT under control (HUGE criterion), the confusion is getting worse, and I am quite concerned!   I need something less strong or something for the pain,.
Dr G   "Well, you fit all the criteria. (IV out, drainage tubes out (they were NOT I had to remind them to do it greedy idiots!  I also live with my 77 and 79 year old parents and we are raising my small grandchildren.  The LAST think I need is to be climbing the stairs to go to the bathroom!!  I can't do this.
Dr G   Well, let me to take a look at this and I'll be right back,.  (not the smartest crayon in he box- you'll see why.)

FIVE MUNUTES MAX passes

Dr G   "I checked into it
(where???) and sure enough he says I need the criteria.  WTF??????  So I ask questions and he says if the fever gets over 101.5 to phone.  I explained that I love far far away... but his brain had become calcified by then.

Me   I disagree with this, I only want one day. 
Dr. G   I'm sorry this is how we must do things.  (this is a lie proven my my last two trips to the hospital)

Me   Grrr......... okay but since I had no sleep last night can I have a minute for a nap? Dr G    You have to be out by noon.  I'll send a nurse in.  (cop-out weasel)

90 SECONDS LATER Mean Nurse    "So you are going home, excited?" Me   No, in fact, I need another day.  I explained about the folks and staircase" ME   How high can they be?  (I was tempted to ask if she'd been in a lighthouse but didn't. MN   More than one story?  Like two stories?  How many stairs? Me   Maybe one and a half MN    Oh you can handle that.  (Easy for her to say) Me:   I explained about the kids MN   Do you need a nursing home? ME   NO!  I should have said yes for gosh sakes!

MN    I'm sure you'll be happier at home  (how in the heck do I answer that??)

SILENCE as she asked stupid questions.

ME   Can I please sleep a little?

MN   No, we already ordered translink for you (transportation for the poor) ME   You did WHAT?  I already have a ride! MN    There was no answer ME   My mother has her cell phone but I have no calling card.  (finally she lets me call on the hosp phone)

My mother   They did WHAT?  We are here! Me   No kidding.  I knew that.  They say I have to wait in the lobby at noon!  (no rest for the poor sick)
My mother:   Let me talk to the nurse  (this I did not want)
MN   Well, we already provided translink for her.  Apparently my mother said no way, they were at safe way and were just getting some scripts and then would be there. Me   Okay mom, thanks, love you.  (to the MN) May I lie down please?  I am exhausted and need to lie down (major surgery remember idiot)
MN   No, I am sorry.  We have to pack now.   (I'm on the edge of tears now but will not give her th satisfaction.  ME   Do I have time for a shower?  
MN    No, you must be out by noon. 

So.. pack I did while in excruciating pain, her trying to put all kinds of crap in my backpack... which I told her I did not need.  I didn't take much so had not much to pack, thank God.

SHE LEAVES THE ROOM

ME   I lie down on the bed and wish for some sort of seizure so they see I'm not ready to go home.

THREE MINUTES LATER

Nice Nurse walks in.....

NM well, I guess you're ready to go, let's get you in a wheelchair and head to the lobby.  All your drains are gone and you're all dressed.  I mention that my drainage troop has not been touched at all.  She apologizes profusely and was actually nice.  She said she's take care of that right now.  She leaves the room.  I lie down.

NN    returns in 2 minutes with equipment. ME   Is this going to hurt? NN   Well..... and give me a funny grin.  She said, We'll it'll sting a tiny but.. and winks.  I loved that because she told the truth and I NEVER whined once the whole time I was there, even though the pt next to me had an appendectomy and actually cried.  (poor thing)  There was someone else who was very whiny but only had an hernia removed, so I was proud of myself.  (And God!)

NN   Gets out the scissors, started cutting stitches that went through the drain to keep it in place.  No problem, she warned me.  THEN she pulled on it.  I said WOW you weren't lying!  :-)  It went very well, though I kept praying it would get stuck or the infection would come out with it.  lol

In any case, I think that is on the dark side of malpractice, don't you?

I called the patient super when I got home.  How stupid!  Naturally he took the ol party line.  I asked if I could phone a lawyer.  HE said, "Gee, I would have to see you waste your money on a lawyer when you have no PROOF.  Seems to me I do though.  That one nurse said 4 or 5 days and my mother heard that too.

Of course my folks can't / won't help even when they can - though my mother DID help me make my bed today.  I sleep on the worst bed on earth - a twin, and I had to ask my dad to put a board under the mattress.  Of course he made me help lift it.  Of course earlier I spilled water from an ice tray and asked him to please pick it up, I cannot bend over.  He walked out of the room.  He wouldn't even hep.  I also asked to please put a hook and eye latch on m (porch or as I like to call it SHU for special handing unit at prisons) and he and my mom flipped.  I have NO privacy.  They tried to claim they never come out here until They have to come turn off the computer in the middle of the night.  That's fine with me.

But you know what?  I am not allowed to pray here.  That means it's th opposite of how it should b.. it' nerve wracking.  No bending/bowing, no scarves blah blah blah.

Ok so now i am whining  I hope you understand!  I needed to vent about this!!  I also have to pay for the blog next month and i have no idea how I'll do it.

I need feedback bad.  Anyone know any lawyers, mostly tort?  I only know one habeas but she's soooooooooooo busy. 

All in all this was a horrd trip, but Susan, the good nurse made my times.

Did I tell you about the nurse who screwed up my meds in her favor then called ME a liar??  Oh yea that was nice.

Shutting up now.  Honest feedback DESPERATELY needed please.  I know this post is insanely long... but please?  I love you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Linda G. Richard
http://freedetainees.org

phone # available on request

Reply via email to