All missions have time periods where they can't abort.  But I have to 
agree - the Ares seems to me to be going backwards, not forwards.  I am 
looking forward to the day when the space shuttle can take off the way 
it lands - instead of being fired off of a launch pad!  :-)  I really 
don't get the whole reasoning behind Ares.  Seems like they just want to 
'hurry up' another moon mission - just seems like a really bad idea to 
me.  Seems like a no-brainer.

Lara Ancientwarrior67777 wrote:
>
>
> *Breaking News    *
>
> *Report: No escape system could save astronauts if Ares I rocket 
> exploded during first minute*
>
> /Orlando Sentinel/ 
> <http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/space/orl-new-blow-to-nasa-ares-071809,0,3051613.story>
>  
>
>
>  
>
> 2009-07-19
>
>  
>
> WASHINGTON - The crew of NASA's newest spacecraft "will not survive" 
> an explosion of the Ares I rocket within the first minute of launch 
> because blazing chunks of solid-rocket fuel would melt the parachutes 
> on the crew-escape system, according to a new Air Force report.
>
> The report by the 45th Space Wing at Patrick Air Force Base -- which 
> has safety responsibility for the Cape Canaveral rocket range -- used 
> data from an unmanned Titan IV that was blown up by safety officers 
> when its guidance system malfunctioned soon after leaving the pad at 
> Cape Canaveral in 1998. Like Ares I, the Titan used solid-fuel motors.
>
> The explosion created a cone of red-hot debris that spread across 
> nearly three miles. If a similar safety decision was made to blow up 
> an Ares I, the report said, no escape system could blast the Orion 
> capsule and its crew away from the flaming debris quickly enough to 
> keep its parachutes from being incinerated.
>
> "The capsule will not survive an abort [in the first minute] as the 
> capsule is engulfed until water-impact by solid propellant fragments 
> radiating heat from 4,000F toward the nylon parachute material (with a 
> melt-temperature of [about] 400F)," said the 25-page report.
>
> But Jeff Hanley, who manages NASA's Constellation program that 
> includes the Ares I, questioned the validity of the Air Force study 
> because it relied on only one example. He said NASA had done its own 
> study, using supercomputers to replicate the behavior of Ares I, that 
> predicted a safe outcome.
>
> "We have analysis that tells today that the capsule will fly free of 
> the danger," Hanley said. "Our analysis says the crew capsule will not 
> be exposed to the more severe environments."
>
> He did note, however, that NASA would consider the Air Force study.
>
> Critics countered the new report is the latest reason why Ares needs 
> to be re-examined, or scrapped.
>
> "This is one technical issue among many," said Mike Gold, the 
> Washington director of Bigelow Aerospace, a commercial space company. 
> "What we find disturbing is that any time there is an external 
> organization looking at NASA's plans, they seem to come across an 
> issue, and this is just one example."
>
> The Air Force report, first published by nasawatch.com, is the second 
> safety challenge by the 45th Space Wing to the solid-fuel first stage 
> of Ares I. Air Force officials previously warned NASA they fear that 
> violent shaking on liftoff of the Ares I-X, a rocket that will test 
> the Ares I first stage, would disable the steering and self-destruct 
> mechanisms, meaning it could not be destroyed if it veered off course.
>
> If that problem is not fixed, the Air Force has said, the rocket 
> cannot fly from Kennedy Space Center for fear it could endanger 
> populated areas along the Space Coast.
>
> This warning, and the new report, come at a crucial time for Ares I, a 
> key element of NASA's Constellation program to return humans to the 
> moon. An independent team is reviewing whether the Ares I -- intended 
> to launch astronauts -- and the much larger Ares V cargo rocket are 
> the best choices.
>
> Alternatives include rockets that would use the main engines, boosters 
> and giant fuel tank of the space shuttle, which is slated for 
> retirement next year; commercial rockets now used to launch 
> satellites; or a redesign of the liquid-fueled Ares V.
>
> During a conference call on Friday with reporters, the head of the 
> review team, Norm Augustine, said the panel was aware of the Air Force 
> report and called it a "legitimate technical question" and that team 
> members were devoting a "great deal of effort to that, among other 
> technical questions."
>
> In the past 18 months, outside critics and internal reports have 
> raised several questions about Ares I, whose first stage is a 
> five-segment stack of solid-rocket boosters like those used on the 
> shuttle. Concerns range from price, which could cost at least $35 
> billion before the rocket is ready for a 2015 mission, to technical 
> problems.
>
> Chief among them: violent shaking caused by the way solid-rocket fuel 
> burns, compounded by the use of a solid-fuel motor as the primary 
> propulsion source rather than as boosters.
>
> The shaking, called "thrust oscillation" by engineers, continues to 
> vex the agency. NASA officials announced this week that it is one of 
> the issues that will delay the first test flight of the Ares I-X -- a 
> single-stage mockup of the Ares I.
>
> The target date of the launch, from Kennedy Space Center, was changed 
> from Aug. 30 to Oct. 31.
>
> "This is still a very aggressive schedule and requires a lot of tasks 
> to complete on or before their planned dates," wrote Robert Ess, the 
> Ares I-X mission manager, in a memo obtained by the Orlando Sentinel.
>
> Despite the problems, Augustine denied that the panel already has 
> declared Ares dead.
>
> "As far as our committee is concerned, it would be completely wrong to 
> say that Ares is dead in the water. We have looked at various versions 
> of Ares, derivatives of Ares and alternatives to Ares, and I think it 
> would be a totally incorrect characterization," said Augustine, former 
> CEO of Lockheed Martin.
>
> "We're looking at a whole bunch of possibilities," he added.
>
> The Augustine panel should present its findings next month.
>
> http://www.godlikeproductions.com/news/Breaking_News/14901-Report__No_Escape_System_Could_Save_Astronauts_If_Ares_I_Rocket_Exploded_During_First_Minute
>  
> / A person who wants to learn will always find a teacher./
> // 
> /Persian proverb/
>
>  
>
>
>
>
>
> 

-- 
Linda
*http://freedetainees.org <http://freedetainees.org/>
"If we shadows have offended, Think but this,
and all is mended, That you have but slumber'd
here While these visions did appear..."
- William Shakespeare
*


--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"bangla-vision" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/bangla-vision?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to