On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 12:21 PM, Srijayanth
Sridhar<srijaya...@gmail.com> wrote:
[..]
> I've come to lament the factory like nature of IT in India. People learn
> extremely minimal subset of specialized skills. I've had chaps who can't see
> beyond .NET or Java very simply because these are industry idioms. I tell
> them stuff about perl, python or ruby and I get back "but those are
> scripting languages".
[..]

Code monkey culture. I know of atleast some companies that *look* for
such people because they want them to do grunt work like fixing tiny
bugs, 'resolving issues' and such. All the juicy work (if any) are
done by competent people. The unwashed masses are used to oil the
cogs.

Even colleges are moving towards teaching vocational rather than
technical skills.

--
~noufal